Western Sydney University supports higher-degree research candidates with a range of scholarship opportunities. The release of research scholarships is periodic, and each type of scholarship has specific application dates, eligibility criteria, and conditions.
The information below outlines the requirements for our scholarship releases. when you meet the eligibility criteria you will apply for any scholarship.
Our scholarship releases are open at various times throughout the year, we recommend checking this page regularly.
|Scholarship recipients must be able to commence their program on the date detailed above. For existing candidates, the scholarship will commence on the relevant date detailed above and any outstanding fees will be required to be paid up to this date.
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)Professional Doctorate (DCA, DCR or EdD)Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
|Who can apply?
|Domestic and international applicants that can be onshore in Australia at the scholarship commencement date.
|Scholarships include a stipend of $31,500 (AUD) per annum for three (3) years. For domestic students, tuition fees are covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP). A tuition wavier will be awarded only for the international students.
|For international students, scholarships do not include an Overseas Student Health Care (OSHC)(opens in new window) insurance policy. This cost is covered by the student and is required for the duration of study in Australia. Travel costs, visa costs, relocation expenses and other expenses are not covered by the scholarship.
Eligible for a scholarship
Yes, international applicants are eligible to apply for research scholarships. You should review the eligibility criteria and submit your online application according to the instructions provided above.
Scholarship releases feature strict commencement dates. You have to commence your studies by the dates indicated for the applicable release.
To commence your studies by the required date, you must:
- be onshore in Australia and hold a valid visa which allows you to study in Australia; or
- be onshore in Australia and be able to obtain a visa that allows you to remain in Australia to study.
Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan Scholarships
Western Sydney University and The Higher Education Commission (HEC) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan have established a collaborative arrangement to provide high quality research training to candidates from Pakistan at Western Sydney University.
Successful candidates will enrol in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program and undertake a supervised research project at Western Sydney University.
- HEC will provide a stipend living allowance and a contribution towards Overseas Student Health Cover. Also, a return international airfare to Australia.
- You should check the HEC international scholarships website(opens in new window) to confirm the scholarship inclusions as these may be subject to change.
- Western Sydney University will provide a tuition fee waiver scholarship. This covers the cost of tuition fees for successful applicants for a maximum period of up to 48 months.
- Be a citizen and permanent resident of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan at the time of your application;
- have submitted an application for an HEC Overseas Scholarship(opens in new window) and received an invitation to apply from HEC;
- satisfy the Australian Government requirements for a student visa(opens in new window) for postgraduate research;
- Have applied for admission and meet all admission entry requirements, including English proficiency
- received an offer for admission into a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program at Western Sydney University;
- have received a conditional offer for a scholarship from Western Sydney University and
- Satisfy all other eligibility criteria as defined by HEC.
How to apply
Step 1: Submit your HEC Overseas Scholarship application.
You have to directly apply for an HEC Overseas Scholarship before the application deadline and meet all requirements set by HEC.
Step 2: Receive an invitation to apply from HEC.
If HEC shortlists your application, you will get a formal invitation to apply for admission at Western Sydney University.